Skip to main content

Travel Interlude

It strikes me that we now have some knowledge, not familiarity but a particularly partial knowledge, of Lisbon. We flew in, found & used the Metro (red line) to Oriente Station, wandered that area a little, caught a train back, returned days later by train, used the red line, transferred to the green, walked a few blocks, checked into a hotel, dined nearby, slept, awoke retraced our path, found the bus platform, boarded, and rode out.

I wrote “not familiarity” but the Asian woman at the coffee stand in the station recognized me, or pretended to.

Yesterday on the train I read an article about how travel slows aging.

https://wapo.st/4gvy1Up

We can point to elements of our recent experiences that match things discussed in the article. Meg has some photos that speak to the travel itself:

interacting and observing others…

Inside our Lisbon Hotel

Leaving Lisbon

We just rode across a long & graceful bridge over the Tagus. Here’s a poem about saying goodbye to it:

An Adieu to Tagus

by Luis Vaz de Camoes

Waters of gentle Tagus, calmly flowing

Through these green fields ye freshen as ye flow,

On flocks and herds, plants, flowers, all things that grow,

On shepherds and on nymphs delight bestowing;

I know not, ah! sweet streams, despair of knowing

When I shall come again; for as I go,

And ponder why, ye fill me with such woe,

That in my heart a deep distrust is growing.

The Fates have e'en decreed this sad adieu,

Aiming to change my joys into despair,

This sad adieu that weighs upon my years:

Of them complaining, yearning after you,

With sighs I shall invade some distant air,

And trouble other waters with my tears.

That’s goddamn sad. It’s hard to sustain the Sonnets from the Portuguese joke when all of them are also so sad. I know the famous one is not sad, so maybe they get more cheerful. Anyway, here’s another sad one:



VI

Go from me. Yet I feel that I shall stand

Henceforward in thy shadow. Nevermore

Alone upon the threshold of my door

Of individual life, I shall command

The uses of my soul, nor lift my hand

Serenely in the sunshine as before,

Without the sense of that which I forbore—

Thy touch upon the palm. The widest land

Doom takes to part us, leaves thy heart in mine

With pulses that beat double. What I do

And what I dream include thee, as the wine

Must taste of its own grapes. And when I sue

God for myself, He hears that name of thine,

And sees within my eyes the tears of two.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Racial Injustice: The Case of Walter Lett Inspired Harper Lee

Chronology: The case of Walter Lett influenced Harper Lee in writing To Kill a Mockingbird. Here are the events of the case, and its connection to Harper Lee. The case began in November 1933.  "On Thursday, November 9, 1933, the Monroeville Journal reported that Noami Lowery told authorities that Walter Lett had raped her the previous Thursday.” ( "Lee, Harper: 1926 - 2016").  Just as in To Kill a Mockingbird , the accusation alone was enough for most citizens to assume guilt.  Writing for Time magazine, Daniel Levy asserts,   “Such an accusation was a death sentence for an African American man. ‘Rape was the central drama of the white psyche,’ says Diane McWhorter, author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning Carry Me Home: Birmingham, Alabama: The Climactic Battle of the Civil Rights Revolution.”   Lett was captured on Saturday and jailed in another town out of fear he’d be lynched. The legal system operated quickly. “On March 16, 1934, Lett was arraigned on a gran

Pease Air Show - Wings of Hope

I'm getting excited about the Wings of Hope show, and thought that, even though it is nominally off-topic, I wanted to blog about it. First, here's the web address: http://www.peaseairshow.com/ And here's the schedule: 9:00-11:00 Civilian Air Craft Rides (limited) 11:00 Opening Ceremonies (Saturday Only) 11:35 Flag Drop "Silver Wings" US Army Jump Team 11:45 American Air Power B-25, P-40, P47, TBM Avenger Noon Jet Car and Rob Holland Act 12:15 L-39 Demonstration - Dan McCue 12:30 Red Star Formation Team 12:45 B-2 Flyover (August 18th Only!) 1:00 Carol Pilon Wing Walker (Rob Holland / Pilot) 1:30 Jim Parker Salto H101 Sailplane 1:45 F4U Corsair (Dan McCue / Pilot) 2:00 U.S. Navy F/A-18 Hornet Demo Team East 2:15 Legacy Formation / F-18/F4U 2:30 P-40 Warhawk Demonstration 2:45 NH Army Guard Helicopter Ground Assault Demo 3:00 Rob Holland Airshows / Ultimate 20-300s N8UB 3:15 Lockheed T-33 "Shooting Star" 3:30 F-86 Demonstration (Ed Shipley / Pilot) 3:45 U

Reflections from the Last Few Days

I’ve concentrated these posts on the travel & walking, shortchanging some other cultural observations, like food, drink, etc. As we are now headed back to Lisbon, those things may get more attention. Events elsewhere have colored our experience here. This next part is personal. Some reader may find it interesting, or in the future we may appreciate the reminder of these things. Jan & Bruce have been particularly concerned about the impact of Hurricane Helene the last few days. A couple weeks before we left & just before his 96th birthday, my dad began hospice care. We went to see him on his birthday. It was not at all clear that he was any closer to death. On our first day here we were shocked to learn that a beloved friend since college died due to consequences of cancer. Our thoughts the first two days were on Terry, her family, and our mutual friends. She was active, adventurous, loving, fun, and until last spring, healthy. She’s on the left in this photo. Thursday, Dad’